Viabinary is a term used to categorize the experiences of some non-binary people. It refers to people with identities which are close to or similar to one binary gender, even though they are non-binary. They relate to having an experience similar to a binary gender, while not being 100% that binary gender. Possible examples of viabinary people may include:
- Juxera or proxvir people.
- Xirls or xoys.
- Demigirls or demiboys.
- Lunarians or solarians.
- Any other non-binary people who feel a they have a similar experience to a binary woman or to a binary man.
That said, just because one identifies as one of these genders, that doesn't mean they are viabinary. If someone doesn't feel like their experience is similar to that of a binary man or binary woman they would not be viabinary.
History[edit | edit source]
Viabinary was coined by June 25, 2018 by Tumblr user Nbandproud. The term was originally coined in order to talk about issues faced specifically by viabinary people. Viabinary issues include:
- Having either their non-binary identity or the binary part of their identity doubted, ignored or looked down upon.
- Being alienated from common non-binary depictions or descriptions that put emphasis on being completely separate from the binary or in-between binary genders.
- Being seen as binary within non-binary spaces.
- Being treated as a “self hating” and/or “wanting to escape cis/male privilege”