Pronoun Non-Conforming (PNC), also known as Pronoun Variant, is a form of gender non-conformity in which one uses pronouns in a non-standard way. This includes:
- Anyone who uses neopronouns, including nounself pronouns.
- Anyone who use emojiself pronouns.
- Anyone using they/them or it/its pronouns.
- Anyone who uses multiple pronoun sets (multipronominal).
- Binary people who use an atypical pronoun set for their gender (crosspronoun)- men using any pronouns other than he/him and women using any pronouns other than she/her.
- Non-binary people who use he/him and/or she/her pronouns.
- People who use variant sets of pronouns (varipronouns), such as she/zer/xyrself, he/hir/zimself.
- People using binary pronouns because no other pronouns are available in their language.
- People using no pronouns at all (nullpronominal).
- People using all pronouns (panpronominal) or almost all (almopronominal).
- People who are indifferent about their pronouns or not caring about the pronouns people use for them (apapronominal).
Pronoun non-conformity can be used as a political statement or just as a descriptor for those wanting to highlight their non-conformity. Some examples of those who are pronoun non-conforming include she/her gays and he/him lesbians. People of any gender and any sexuality can be pronoun non-conforming.
The term pronoun non-conformity was coined by Tumblr user Vitorrubiao on Aug 24th, 2018.
The gender non-conforming flag was created by Tumblr user Vitorrubiao. The flag is based off of the gender non-conforming flag.
The alternate pronoun non-conforming flag was created Weniviere on November 18th, 2020. It was based off of the original flag. Dark blue stands for masculinity and static genders, light blue stands for kingenders and demigenders, white stands for multigenders and coric-genders, light pink stands for xenogenders and aesthetigenders, dark pink stands for femininity and fluid genders, purple stands for androgyny and genderlessness, light brown stands for unique genders (such as maverique) and neutrality, and dark brown stands for gender non-conforming/defying gender roles.