Masculine or Masc refers to the act of having or showing qualities associated with masculinity- a set of behaviors, presentations, and roles which were/are typically culturally associated with being a man. Masculine can be used to describe one's gender, one's gender presentation, or both.
Genders that are associated with masculinity include: binary man, proxvir, solarian, and demiboy, among others. Not all people with masculine genders will present masculinely, and not all people who present masculinely have a masculine gender. People of any gender or sexual orientation can present as masculine, but those who are assigned male at birth often experience societal pressure to do so. People who are AFAB, but have a masculine gender or masculine gender presentation may be called transmasculine.
The exact qualities associated with masculinity are different based on the culture and time period. Qualities that are typically associated with masculinity in western society include:
- Physical strength, power and confidence.
- Bravery, stoicism, and determination.
- Assertiveness, aggression, and social independence.
- Mechanical instincts and a desire to solve problems.
- A gender expression which includes wearing pants, having short hair, having facial/body hair, and/or having visible muscles.
- A gender expression which includes using he/him pronouns.
Flag[edit | edit source]
The masculine flag was designed by imoga-pride on December 17, 2018.