Lunarian, also called a lunar non-binary individual, is a non-binary gender and gender alignment from the galactian alignment system. In many cultures around the world, the moon is individualified as a woman, or is associated with feminine energy, so lunarian is used to refer to non-binary individuals who are woman or feminine-aligned.
Possible examples of lunarian experiences include:
- Someone who is partially a woman.
- Someone who has some connection to womanhood without being a woman.
- Someone who has a gender similar to, but not the same as, a woman.
- Someone who is fingender or connected to femininity while not being a woman or having a connection to womanhood.
- A non-binary individual who presents femininely (regardless of their actual gender).
- Someone connected to womanhood through their experience with society. They may be treated as or have experiences similar to that of a woman.
The term is meant to be a less easily misused or manipulated form of "female-aligned." Since there is no consistent definition of gender alignment, there is no consistent definition of lunarian. Some non-binary individuals may fit some of these experiences but not identify as lunarian.
Selenian: A subset of lunarian that describes a non-binary individual that who is woman-aligned, but not necessarily feminine-aligned.
Artemian: A subset of lunarian that describes a non-binary individual that who is feminine-aligned, but not necessarily woman-aligned.
History and Flag
The term was coined by Tumblr user nonbinary-sapphic on November 16, 2016.
The lunarian flag was created by Tumblr user temp-nb-blog on November 30, 2016.. The purple stripes of the flag represent the varying levels in which individuals can experience being lunarian. The yellow stripe represent the non-binary nature of this gender. Black represents those with no gender. Grey represents the varying levels in which individuals can experience gender.
An alternate version of this flag was created on or before December 17, 2016, by Tumblr user enby-positivity. Another lunarian flag was created on or before December 21, 2016, by Tumblr user yourfavegoestoactualpride.
An alternate flag was created by FANDOM user Lm7923 on November 22, 2020. The two shades of pink in the flag are for varying levels of feeling feminine, the two white stripes for feeling more non-binary, and the black stripe for feeling agender or without gender.