Gender Non-Conforming (GNC), also known as Gender Variant, refers to people whose gender presentation does not align with their actual gender. Many GNC people are transgender or non-binary, however there are also many cis people who are gender non-conforming. Some possible examples of gender non-conformity are:
- A cis women who presents as masculine.
- A trans man who presents as androgynous.
- A non-binary person who presents as feminine.
Traits that may make one gender non-conform include:
- Hair length and/or style.
- Style of clothes.
- Presence or absence of makeup and/or nail polish.
- Presence or absence of facial hair and/or body hair.
- Using certain pronouns.
The pronouns one uses are also a form of gender presentation so using pronouns that are not typically associated with one's gender is also a form of gender non-conformity. Examples include he/him lesbians, she/her gays, as well as non-binary people who use he/him or she/her pronouns, and binary men and women who use they/them pronouns.