Feminine, or Fem refers to the act of having or showing qualities associated with femininity- a set of behaviors, presentations, and roles which were/are typically culturally associated with being a woman. Feminine can be used to describe one's gender, one's gender presentation, or both.
Genders that are associated with femininity include: binary woman, juxera, lunarian, and demigirl, among others. Not all people with feminine genders will present femininely, and not all people who present femininely have a feminine gender. People of any gender or sexual orientation can present as feminine,for example, demiboys (not all the time, but sometimes), but those who are assigned female at birth often experience societal pressure to do so. People who are AMAB, but have a feminine gender or feminine gender presentation may be called transfeminine.
The exact qualities associated with femininity are different based on the culture and time period. Qualities that are typically associated with femininity in western society include:
- Grace, delicacy, and gentleness.
- Sensitivity, empathy, and emotional openness.
- Deference, passivity, and a desire for social interaction.
- Nurturing instincts and a desire to care for others.
- A gender expression which includes wearing dresses or skirts, having long hair, and/or wearing make-up.
- A gender expression which includes using she/her pronouns.
The feminine flag was designed by imoga-pride on December 17, 2018.
The alternate feminine flag was designed by kirbirb on January 7th, 2021.